The ICE Rink
ICE Rink (offered at all events except Championships and Too Cool for School) is a knockout-style tournament for solos/duos, with multiple solos/duos competing at the same time, similar to a freestyle competition. Athletes can enter ICE Rink on the day of the event for £5.
Note the ICE Rink tournament is different to ‘spotlight’ solos/duos. Solos/duos (where available) are individually listed on the running order and are up to 1 min 15 sec; more information on solos/duos can be found here.
What styles are available at ICE Rink?
At ICE Extravaganza Cheer & Dance Events, ICE Rink is offered in Pom, Jazz/Contemporary, Hip Hop and Cheer. At ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Events, ICE Rink is offered in Pom, Acro, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary & Hip Hop.
The ICE Rink tournament is a perfect opportunity for athletes/dancers to build confidence performing solo or as part of a duo, while having the comfort of others around them.
How does ICE Rink work?
The tournament will run in knockout rounds. Each round, multiple dancers will be eliminated, leaving the finalists in the last round. One athlete/dancer will be announced as the winner for their style and age grouping.
ICE Rink solo winners in each style from tiny/mini/youth and from junior/senior/open will then compete against each other in a ‘dance-off’. The winner of each ‘dance-off’ will win a bid to enter a ‘spotlight’ solo in ICE Championships (for cheer) or ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Championships (for dance), where they’ll be able to compete for an ICE Royalty title.
What are the rules & age groupings?
ATHLETES MUST BE ENTERED INTO THE DIVISION RELEVANT FOR THEIR AGE. So a Tiny age athlete cannot enter a Mini Cheer Solo in order to perform skills higher than level 1, for example.
Please be reminded ICE Rink age groupings are based on the athlete’s season age (age as of 31st August 2019); not necessarily their age on the day of the event. Coaches may wish to ensure their athletes are aware of their season age, to assist with speeding up ICE Rink registration.
When is ICE Rink?
At events which have sessions, all ICE Rinks take place in their corresponding session as follows. ICE Rinks usually take place just before each awards ceremony.
One-day ICE Extravaganza events (Christmas ICE Breaker & Frost Fest only):
- Session 1 – Tiny, Mini & Youth Cheer ICE Rink
- Session 2 – Tiny, Mini, Youth, Junior, Senior & Open Dance ICE Rink (Pom, Jazz/Contemporary, Hip Hop)
- Session 3 – Junior, Senior & Open Cheer ICE Rink
Two-day ICE Extravaganza events:
- Session 1 – Tiny, Mini & Youth Cheer ICE Rink
- Session 2 – Junior, Senior & Open Cheer ICE Rink
- Session 3 – Tiny, Mini, Youth, Junior, Senior & Open Cheer ICE Rink
- Session 4 – Tiny, Mini, Youth, Junior, Senior & Open Dance ICE Rink (Pom, Jazz/Contemporary, Hip Hop)
Ultimate Dance Experience Events: these events are not run in sessions, and so ICE Rink for each style & age may take place at any point throughout the day.
- Athletes will be able to buy a number from registration for £5 to enter one ICE Rink.
- ICE Rink will not be available at ICE Championships or ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Championships. ICE Rink will be scheduled all other events.
- If a session/event is running late for any reason (for example, due to an injury), ICE Rink rounds may be combined, shortened or cancelled. However, we will endeavour to run it fully where at all possible.
- Specifics of music will not be released.
- Athletes must compete in their correct age grouping. Bids won by athletes found to have been competing in an incorrect age grouping will be cancelled. Proof of age may be requested.
- Cheer ICE Rink (not available at ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Events) will have 5 competitors per round, one per mat for safety reasons.
- ICE Rinks will be scheduled for their corresponding sessions as described above. Athletes may not enter an ICE Rink which they’re underage/overage for. Please note: not all styles and ages of ICE Rink are offered in every single session. You’ll need to plan to attend the session/s for the ICE Rink/s you’re interested in.
- At each ICE Rink, there will be a bid awarded to one ICE Rink solo competitor per style from tiny/mini/youth and one from junior/senior/open (the winner of the ‘dance-off’ in each case).
- After the event, an email will be sent to the coach of each bid-winning soloist, informing them they are invited to enter the ICE Championships (for cheer) or ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Championships (for dance) to compete for an ICE Royalty title. At busy times this email may be 2-4 weeks after the event.
- Coaches wishing to enter bid-winning soloists in either ICE Championships or ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Championships will need to register them using the entry form as normal (registration for ICE Championships is open, and registration for ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Championships will open nearer the time). Registration is not automatic, and is subject to availability. Pricing is available here.
Please note Jazz/Contemporary/Lyrical will be one style for ICE Rink at ICE Extravaganza Cheer & Dance Events (referred to as ‘Jazz/Contemporary’). Athletes can only win one bid in Jazz/Contemporary from ICE Extravaganza Cheer & Dance ICE Rinks. Jazz/Contemporary bid winners entering the ICE Ultimate Dance Experience Championships will be able to select to compete one solo from Jazz, Contemporary or Lyrical.